Tuesday, April 24, 2012
The Westminster College Preschool Lab will celebrate Week of the Young Child through April 28 with a variety of activities to honor young children and those who make a difference in children's lives.
Guest readers at the preschool include Westminster College President Dr. Richard H. Dorman and Westminster alumni Dan Vogler, Lawrence County commissioner, and Wendell Wagner, New Wilmington mayor.
Additional activities include:
• Parent Night for families of Westminster Preschool Lab students at Anderson Amphitheater, chaired by parent representatives Emily Feury and Pam Onderko
• Walking field trip to Shenango Presbyterian SeniorCare for an egg hunt
• "See Well Bunny" puppet show by the Lawrence County Blind Association
• Global Youth Service Day picking up litter around the Westminster campus and a trip to the Field Station for a nature walk with Dr. Clarence Harms
• Visit from Kenneth Jewell, Wilmington School District principal
• Technology project with Westminster's Audio Visual Services. KidPix creations will be displayed and the children's interviews will be seen on video at the McKelvey Campus Center.
• Artwork displays in the Post Office and First National Bank in New Wilmington
The Week of the Young Child is a time to recognize the needs of young children and become involved in their education and care. Parents, teachers, caregivers, and other adults play important roles in the lives of young children, and Week of the Young Child celebrates their efforts. Celebrations around the country and in our community will promote high-quality child care, preschool, and other early education opportunities for young children.
The Westminster College Preschool Lab, established in 1990, is a multi-purpose facility that serves the College and the community. Designed by early childhood experts, the laboratory school incorporates innovative curriculum, well trained staff, developmentally appropriate equipment, and individual attention. Under the direction of Dr. Mandy Medvin, professor and chair of Westminster's Department of Psychology, and teachers Deborah Roud and Diana Reed, the preschool is accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs.
Contact Roud or Reed at (724) 946-7174 or Medvin at (724) 946-7360 or visit the Preschool website for additional information about Westminster's Preschool Lab. Click here for more information about Week of the Young Child.